Monday, February 1, 2010

Upstairs window: before and after

I had a very productive weekend at home.  Or maybe I should say my Dad had a very productive weekend, while I helped with measuring, holding, gluing and painting (I can’t use a drop saw or electric drill, so my Dad did all the hard stuff).  Thanks Dad... and Mum (she painted the inside of the upstairs room while Dad and I did the window).  Don’t I have fantastic parents.

Anyway, here are before and after shots of the upstairs window at the front of the house.


 

The window frame and outside wall were rotten, so we had to replace it all.  We modelled the decoration on a picture from a book on restoring old Aussie houses (lent to us by one of our lovely neighbours).  Apparently this is called a dormer window and our house is Victorian Italianate.
 
The window is not finished yet (we still need to add fancy timber along the bottom and paint it with the main coat colours), but I’m so excited about how much better it looks already that I had to post a picture now.  I’ll post another one when it’s all done and the scaffolding is out of the way.

2 comments:

  1. I know Dave, it's hard to believe isn't it.

    It has been a very slow process (especially with all the rain we've had this Summer), but it will look fantastic when it's done.

    Watch this space :)

    ReplyDelete