Monday, July 5, 2010

Shopping in Tokyo: part one

I’ve finally started taking pictures of some of the great stuff I brought back from Tokyo, so here is the first of my shopping posts.

My favourite store of all those I visited while in Tokyo was Isetan in Shinjuku.  Unfortunately I didn’t get there until the last day of our trip by which point my suitcase was already quite full and I didn’t have much time.

They had two great pop-up exhibitions.  The first was full of vintage advertising and product packaging paraphernalia from around the world, mainly Europe.  Some items were for sale, but many were just for display.

Images taken in the store are from my iPhone, apologies for the slight fuzziness.

I bought a worldwide vintage matchbox labels collection which I intend to arrange in a couple of square frames to make a colourful and quirky art display.


The second was dedicated to various Japanese designers, with each table or shelving unit housing a different designer’s wares.  Many items were handcrafted and quite beautiful.

I bought two little wooden spoons and a crescent-shaped brass bottle opener.


I gave one spoon to my mum as a gift and the other I have paired with my white sugar bowl.


The brass bottle opener is from Futagami.  I don’t drink beer, but I love the design.  I’m sure it will come in useful at parties.


I also loved these handmade bird and tree cushions.  They were quite expensive, so I didn’t buy one.

No comments:

Post a Comment