Tuesday, February 1, 2011

My dream kitchen... at 22

When I was 22, this was my dream kitchen.

Above image from Country Living

I am not kidding.  The above images were the first to be saved in my inspiration folder and possibly what triggered my passion for interior design.  It’s too bad that I was already in my final year of studying accounting and applied finance, so there was no way I was changing to a degree in design.

I was still living with my parents at the time, but that didn’t stop me from accumulating a significant amount of pink 1950s kitchen wares via eBay.  Most of this stuff is currently packed up in boxes and stored at my grandparents house and most of it will probably end up back on eBay, but there are a few items that I still love and will try to work into our new kitchen (Harry permitting).

I bought these Kromex spun aluminium and pink plastic canisters in mint condition, complete with a card to the bride and groom... obviously an unwanted wedding gift held onto for many years out of guilt.

Above image from eBay listing circa 2005

They cost me more than a week’s wage at the time (I was working full-time as an Associate Adviser in a financial services business, so I’m not talking about a casual job at McDonalds kind of wage either).  My only excuse is that I had no commitments and therefore no concept of the value of money.  Don't worry, now that I have a huge Inner Western Sydney mortgage, I have a much better understanding of the opportunity cost of such ridiculous impulse buys.

I also bought this Can.O.Mat pink wall-fastened can opener mint in its box.

Above image from eBay listing circa 2005

Perhaps I should mention that I was also a total princess at the time and although I wanted vintage I wouldn’t buy anything that had been used by someone else.

Harry might argue that I’m still a bit of a princess and still a little too fond of pink, but at least I’ve learned that match matchy colour schemes are definitely not cool.

6 comments:

  1. you can blame me for her better taste :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. your kitchen pics came from a country living magazine..the proud owner found the ovens by the side of the road on the way to work one morning! Kromex in the original box... oh my....what a lucky girl you are...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I remember the article now. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melinda if you decide you want to sell that Kromex in the box let me know... and I'm serious. kdronet3272 AT AOL DOT COM. KIM

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kim. I love those canisters. I still haven't used them, but I plan to once we have renovated the kitchen. I will keep you in mind if my plans change. In the meantime, I recommend that you set up an eBay saved search for "pink Kromex" then you will receive an email every time something is listed. That's how I scored these. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melinda, thanks for that tip.. I hadn't thought about doing that!!

    ReplyDelete