Saturday, March 19, 2011

I heart Japan

It has been just over a week since the magnitude 8.9 earthquake and the huge tsunami that followed hit Japan.  I have been keeping up-to-date with the latest news streaming out of Japan and while it is mostly devastating and depressing, it is warming to hear the stories of great human spirit, stories of hope, generosity and sacrifice.  Such as the Fukushima 50 working around the clock and risking their lives trying to avert a nuclear disaster at the ravaged power plant, a 25-year old innkeeper offering all 400 of his hotels’ beds and free food to survivors who have been displaced from their homes and this video of an amazing escape and rescue.
 
My heart is breaking for Japan right now.  I have visited this beautiful country twice in the last two years and I can’t imagine what it must be like to be there now.  These images are a few of my favourites from our two trips.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment