Monday, June 13, 2011

A Scandinavian grand design

It has been lovely spending three days out of the office, but the long weekend is almost over now.
 
I spent most of today taking photographs of my old clothes, to sell on eBay, but while taking a break for lunch, Harry switched on the TV to an episode of Grand Designs which I couldn’t walk away from.
 
It featured the home of interior designer and owner/builder, Kathryn Tyler. She talks about her love of Scandinavian design as the inspiration for this build and she loves bespoke fittings and preloved furniture.
 
I love everything about this home: the combination of white-painted brick and cedar, which will grey with age…
 
 
The dining chairs, which are apparently an English design that is no longer made (I must try to find more information about them)…
 
 
The white kitchen cabinetry encased in teak…
 
 
My favourite feature: the bespoke storage under the staircase, and I love all the colour in Kathryn’s display of knick-knacks…
 
 
The built-in coat rack/message board just inside the front door and the bookshelf/room divider…
 
 
The living room furniture, especially the sofa with its button detailing…
 
 
Kathryn’s home office/design studio (I am so jealous, just look at all those design books)…
 
 
And I assume this is her husband/partner Chris’s workspace.
 
 
I’d even consider moving to cold, rainy Cornwall if I could make this house mine.
 
Visit Kathryn’s website to see more images of her beautiful home.

No comments:

Post a Comment