Friday, January 13, 2012

Packing for Paris: travel guides

If you read this post back in November you would know that we were due to be boarding a plane to Paris in four days.  Unfortunately there were delays with our visas, lost paperwork and our departure is now booked for 20 February.  It could be a blessing in disguise given that the bathroom/kitchen renovation has also blown out well beyond schedule.

Anyway, the next five weeks is likely to pass really quickly with everything we have going on at the moment, so I decided I had better start getting organised for our departure.

I've already started packing, but having had no previous experience living overseas, I have no idea how much stuff I should be taking for twelve months.  I just know that when we land it will be Winter in Europe and it will be freezing, so I have bought thermals, a down jacket and waterproof boots.

But let's start with something easy: books.  Aside from my French language books, I will be packing the following travel guides.


We have the usual Lonely Planet 'France' guide with a pull-out map of Paris which I'm sure will come in handy, but we also have the less usual Lonely Planet 'Not-For-Parents' guide to Paris which was a Christmas present from a friend.

Of course I have a couple of shopping guides: 'Chic Shopping Paris' and 'Parisian Chic: A Style Guide by Ines de la Fressange'; and lastly, the ultimate luxury travel guide, Louis Vuitton's 'Paris' City Guide.

Yes, I am aware that half the weight in my suitcase will be books, but it's important to be prepared.  I might take the Lonely Planet 'France' guide on the plane to distract me from the fact that I hate flying overnight and can't sleep on a plane and remind me that there is a very good reason for why I am putting myself through the torture of 22 hours of flying time.

2 comments:

  1. Living in France for one year. How delightful.
    I tend to agree, I would be stocking up on books.
    Have you considered a Kindle?
    I will be looking forward to future posts
    Helen xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Helen.
    That's an excellent idea. Harry has a Kindle, but I just love books!
    I will be downloading a French dictionary onto my iPhone though.

    ReplyDelete